Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Bowls
Dry Rub Ingredients:
- ½ Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil divided
Pork Carnitas Ingredients:
- 3½ - 4½ lbs. pork shoulder roast trimmed and cut into 6-8 chunks
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium jalapeno diced
- ¾ cup chicken broth preferably organic
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- 3 Tbsps lime juice
Cilantro-Lime Rice Ingredients:
- 1 cup uncooked rice prepared according to package ingredients
- 3 Tbsps fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 3 Tbsps fresh lime juice divided
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
Pico de Gallo Ingredients:
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 2 Tbsps fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 2 Tbsps fresh lime juice
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
Remaining Bowl Ingredients:
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 cup black beans warmed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn warmed
- 2 large limes cut into wedges
- 3 Tbsps fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine dry rub ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub mixture onto pork until each piece is thoroughly covered. Press well to adhere.
- Push the “Sauté” button on Instant Pot and set it to “High.” Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and half the seasoned pork shoulder pieces to the container. Sear until pork is browned on all sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.Note: DO NOT use lid while using the “Sauté” function on an Instant Pot.
- Once browned, transfer seared pork to a plate and repeat this process with another tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining pork. Remove browned pork from the Instant Pot® and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the container, along with red onion and jalapeño. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add browned pork back to the pot and pour chicken broth, orange juice, and lime juice on top. Add lid and lock into place. Set the steam vent to “Sealing.” Press the “Manual” button and adjust to the “High” setting, if necessary. Adjust cook time to 30 minutes. (Select 40 minutes for 4+ pound roasts).
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the Cilantro-Lime Rice and Pico de Gallo by combining the ingredients for each in medium bowls. Stir to combine and set aside until ready to use.
- When the Instant Pot cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes before doing a quick release of any remaining steam.
Optional Steps for Crispier Carnitas:
- Pre-heat the oven broiler to high and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Transfer pork to the prepared baking sheet and gently shred with two forks. Drizzle with ¼ cup juices from the Instant Pot® and toss to combine before spreading into a thin, even layer. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.Place pork under broiler for 4-5 minutes, then remove from oven and add a little more juice before turning the meat to brown the other side. Place back under broiler for another 4-5 minutes or until the pork is nice and crispy on the edges.
- When finished broiling, remove baking sheet from oven and assemble the burrito bowls by dividing the shredded pork, Cilantro-Lime Rice, Pico de Gallo, sliced avocado, black beans, and corn between 4 to 6 serving bowls. To serve, top with chopped cilantro and fresh lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!